Chris,
Yes.  I agree it's _not_ Raspberry Pi software nor is it Raspian as has been
clearly stated on the Pi support group.

But let's not get caught up in arguing semantics.

Linux is an OS.  And on top of that OS runs a user interface.  It can be as
simple as a command line or as sophisticated as a graphics interface with touch
screen.  In this case it's a Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) running as this
kernel and hardware:  Linux 5.10.0-15-amd64 x86_64

Now in this case the graphics, keyboard, USB and Ethernet (WiFi and Hardwired)
all happen to be made by a little company called "Apple" and originally ran
Apple Software which gave it a "MacBook" personality.  But it's still just
hardware with the amd64 x86_64 processor core.

There are for LinuxCNC several kernel versions, some with hard real time and
some with softer real time.  I've seen on the BeagleBone for example, that it's
possible from the command line to replace parts of the OS (including the
kernel) with newer or older versions while leaving the "user interface and
hardware etc" totally alone.

So my question was really quite simple.  In the same way we do apt-get install
etc for modules is there a way to then get something like LinuxCNC 2.8
installed without mucking up the rest of the hardware interface?

John