a huge printer is not as usfull as you might think.  The nozzle is still
0.4 mm in diameter or close.  Print time is the cube of the linear
dimension of the parts you make,  Can you wait a week while the printer
runs.  What if a 1Kg spool of filament is not enough?

I got an idea, see what Cura says.  Define a printer that large and slice
something and look at the weight and print time.

A more practical idea is to print the parts in sections and then glue or
screw the parts together.  It helps if the parts have some kind of self
alignment or keyway.

or huge parts, casting is better.   Print a mold, then fill it with plastic
resin that is mixed with chopped fiber.    It makes really strong parts.
Then disassemble the mold and take the part out.

A big printer is no different at all from a milling machine, except that it
moves faster and does not need to be build as rigid as there is not cutting
force.    So why not look up some CNC router projects?   It is a common
LinuxCNCproject.

I would still use those closed loop steppers.   With a week-long print, you
do not want skipped steps.

On Sat, Dec 3, 2022 at 5:00 PM gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> On 12/3/22 18:35, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > I don't know what your big-picture goal is,
>
> A 500mm Ender5+ and an 800+mm tronxy-400-pro, and maybe a 1000mm
> Saphire-5 plus eventually.
>
> but you can drive a normal
> > two-phase stepper in continuous, non-stepping mode.  In this mode they
> are
> > just like servomotors.  Then they attach a rotary encoder.  So
> > step-skipping is not going to happen as they don't step.
> >
> > Stepperonline sells these all setup and ready to go as drop-in
> replacements
> > for normal steppers.  The servo-loop is closed inside the driver
> > electronics so the computer just sees the usual sep/dir interface.
> >
> I am fam with that, I'm already using 4 of the nema 23 3 phase versions
> which are lots more efficient power wise, but didn't know it was
> available in nema 17's. I've asked for a quote for the bigger one in
> dual shaft.  Thank you, Chris. Take care & stay well.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett.
> --
>   soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
> If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
>   - Louis D. Brandeis
> Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/>

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California