From: gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2023 3:50 PM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] OT: Air cooled router spindle problem

[EXTERNAL EMAIL] Be sure links are safe.

On 3/16/23 12:44, Leonardo Marsaglia wrote:
> I've checked that the terminals are connected well but I didn't check
> for the entire cable to be alright.
>
> I thought about it but I really didn't think such an intermittent
> failure could be caused by the cable alone. Do you recommend to
> install a new cable just in case?

That depends on how old that cable is, and how much flexing it has endured in
its time.  And in some instances, what color the plastic used for insulation
is. Magenta, aka hot red or hot pink, contains a chemical I can't name but it
destroys the copper in the wire by converting it to a fine, rust colored powder
that may, or may not, properly conduct electricity. That color is most often
found in two-way radio microphone cords as the connection to the tx button, or
today, more commonly as the outer jacket of a sata drive cable in your
computers.  In either case, the failure rate by the time its 5 years old, is
well up the far end of the well known bathtub curve. I long ago changed all of
mine out for any color but hot red/aka magenta.  End of drive errors.

I have serious doubts that is the problem in this case, since the currents
involved are definitely capable of starting a noticeable fire.
But a hand, run along the length of the cable, looking for hot spots when the
failure is in evidence might not be a bad idea. Or better yet, tracing the wire
with an IR thermometer or infra-red camera.

> El jue., 16 de marzo de 2023 13:37, Todd Zuercher
> <to...@pgrahamdunn.com>
> escribió:
>
>> Have you checked your cabling between the motor and VFD?

And please folks, take a break on the mail server, and trim your posts down to
the context of your reply.
Cheers, Gene Heskett.