So is RTAI currently supported in 2.9?

Is there a projected date for the official release of 2.9?

Some of the reasons for asking, we just sold a machine I had running 2.7 on
Wheezy and using 2 or 3 parallel ports.  It had been installed and set up
before Wheezy went EOL.  Unfortunately it seems the HD may have died sometime
since the last time we used the machine and the new owner took possession (it
was in storage for a couple years.)  While we do have some backups of the main
router configuration for the machine, there were some experimental configs that
weren't backed up for a CO2 laser and a glass cutter that were not backed up.
(The Laser's PWM gen setup might be missed the most.)  I'm afraid restoring
Wheezy to a useful state may be out of reach for a computer newb who knows
nothing of Linux.  (I know I would struggle with it and I've been a user for a
while.)

What is the current state of RTAI kernels available for use with Linuxcnc?  Are
there precompiled binarys avalible for the RTAI kernel or for Linuxcnc to run
on it?  Last I heard Andy you had compiled one but there was some question as
to its stability and support for RTAI was pulled from Master(2.9-pre).  That
was a while ago, 2.9 has been "frozen" for release and Master is now 2.10-pre.
Is it better to install Linuxcnc via the current ISO on Linuxcnc.org, or to
install using Debian Bookworm and it's repositories (since Debian seems about
as close to releasing it as Linuxcnc is to releasing 2.9, maybe closer)?

I really like Bookworm, it seems much smoother around the edges than Buster and
no comparison to Wheezy.  Is there any chance that it might be possible to get
acceptable latency using a Preempt-RT on an older anemic Atom CPU (D2700) that
could run a parallel port config?  Is it even worth the effort to try?  Just
trying to chart the best course to recommend to get this poor guy who bought
our old machine going again.

I'm afraid that the buyer really knows nothing of computers, to the extent that
he may have taken the old PC that he was having trouble with to some "PC guy"
who then knowing nothing of Linux wiped the old HD, when he couldn't get his
Windows tools to work on it ☹ sigh.

Which is very unfortunate because I know I rewired some things when I set up
the CO2 laser, but don't remember exactly what or how, so it would be difficult
or impossible for me to recreate that configuration without being at the
machine.  (Machine was originally configured with two 7hp routers.)  It was
right at the beginning of COVID shutdown and we were experimenting with using
the machine to cut out gowns from poly sheeting using the laser cut and weld
the layers.  It almost worked but the welding was too inconsistent.  And that
was the last time we used the machine, and it was put into storage not long
after that.

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.
630 Henry Street