On 7/5/23 08:12, Les Newell wrote:
In my experience winding the acceleration up rapidly runs into the law of diminishing returns with increased vibration and in the case of steppers a higher risk of losing steps.

Les

This is one of the places where the 3 phase stepper/servo really shines. 2 reasons: 1.wire hem up so if they loose a step, the alarm stops linuxcnc it it track useing the alm signal as an e-stop input. 2. the error determines the motor current. So if its working easy, little warming, and your power meter doesn't spin as fast. But that also means if the error starts to rise, the current to the motor can be increased to whatever amps it takes to restore the low error state.

I am presently using 4 of these motors and every time I replace a non servo stepper, I've doubled the speed and acceleration that axis of the machine can do, and I'm doing it w/o step loss. Now there are smaller ones available in the nema-17's used on 3d printers so two of my bigger printers are in the midst to getting these newer motors installed.