Success!  Sort of.  Once I changed the address from 192.168.1.121 to ...122
I was able to connect to the MESA and also the WiFi.
auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.122
    netmask 255.255.255.0

I can even use Chrome to surf the web although it keeps asking for those
stupid keys (3x).

Next problem though is I want to install samba to link the way I have my
linux based Raspberry Pi, Beagles and even a macbook running linux with a Pi
user interface.
I get this dreadful feeling that I'm going to have to rebuild my Linux
system for a newer version.

john@LinuxCNC-G3616:~$ uname -a
Linux LinuxCNC-G3616 4.9.0-16-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.272-2
(2021-07-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

If I do a
 sudo apt update

I get path not found errors.  Kind of like Windows no longer supporting
WIN-7 I guess.

And therefore
  sudo apt install samba

doesn't work either.