On 4/16/24 20:46, Chris Albertson wrote:

On Apr 15, 2024, at 7:20 PM, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

On 4/15/24 21:16, Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users wrote:
I have a Hictop printer with some issues so I'm gathering parts to update it.
Among them is a Big Tree Tech SKR 1.4 board (not the Turbo, which is identical
except runs the CPU 10Mhz faster).

I assume you would be running Kiper on it.  If so, then what isn’t it
compatible it?  It rebuillding a printer and you get to choose a display, then
by all means use an HDMI touch screen.  You can get them for $60 now.  But any
SPI or USB screen should also work.    Mostly the screen attaches to the Pi.

BTW, the BTT Raspbery Pi3 clone’s price just “fell throught rhe floor”.  They
are now under $10 in Aliexpress.   This means you have to to buy two of them to
qualify for free shipping. (iIt is kind of a no-brainers to buy one %7 Pi3 and
pay $$6shipping or to buy two for $7 each and get free shipping.)

The BTT Pi3 clone runs Klipper on my printer at about 7% CPU load and 35% RAM
usage.   Spending even $35 for a Pi4 is not going to make the printer run
faster but it would be fun to see the load go from 7% to 4%.  The BTT clone has
a 12 to 24 volt power inpuit using screw terminals, but the word is “no higher
than 12 volts if you want the Pi to live a long life.”

I have a BTT Pi3 clone and SKR combo powering my Voron V0.2 “printer for ants”
and I’m making very nice prints in ABS at up to 340 mm/second.   At 260c nozzel
and 105C bed.   The combo is not powerfull enough to drive my 80 LED neopixel
strip with crazy animations (80 RGBW LEDs updated at 24 frames per second)
while printing.  I have to tame it down while printing.   That is the only
limitation I’ve found with the SKR.   But do you really need a moving rainbow
on the printer while printing?   I turned on the effect after the print
finished to show it is done.

The advantage of fluidd/moonraker/klipper is that all data is presented on a web page driven by ngnix, I can run the printer, controlling any detail, from any machine on my home net. I have no idea what the load on the bananapi-m5 is but its plenty fast enough for at least 10x an Ender5+'s original speed of around 30mm/sec. I expect my speed limit will be the hot end, its a trinity labs with a 50 watt cylindrical heater and one piece nozzle/heat break.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis