I am enjoying this month's topic.

I am also pasting a segment of an article that I am working on with James
O'Sullivan for the forthcoming Bloomsbury Handbook of Electronic
Literature.  In other sections of the article, you get close readings of
Mez and Tisselli. Elsewhere, both James and I have tried to wrangle with
the question of "poetics," on our own and writing together.

Some good places to find works by many of the fine writers identified in
Susan's message are:

electronic book review (which includes some great pieces by John Cayley,
Maria Damon, Bill Seaman, Sandy Baldwin, Rui Torres, Lori Emerson, N.
Katherine Hayles, Anna Gibbs and Maria Angel, Nick Montfort, etc.)
http://www.electronicbookreview.com

Dichtung Digital (which is not the most easily searchable, but has articles
going back many years).
http://www.dichtung-digital.de/en/journal/archiv/

And, the ELMCIP Knowledgebase (a searchable tool that can help you locate a
wide range of relevant works):
https://elmcip.net/category/tags/digital-poetics

I look forward to reading more!

Davin
----

Heckman, Davin, and James O’Sullivan (forthcoming, 2017), “‘your visit will
leave a permanent mark’: Poetics in the Post-Digital Economy. Bloomsbury
Handbook of Electronic Literature. Bloomsbury Press.  Joseph Tabbi, editor.
http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-bloomsbury-handbook-of-electronic-literature-9781474230254/
--
Deeper than the individual work, the poetic gestures can be taken in
aggregate as soundings of the information in the age of networks. A habit
in this field is to think in terms of “media ecology.” This colorful
metaphor for the function of media systems, itself an indispensable
approach developed by Innis, Ong, McLuhan, and others, carries with it an
implicit naturalism.[1] Initially, the “ecological” innovation offers an
opportunity to step away from the individual genius/revolutionary artifact
conception of cultural history, instead seeing subjects and their objects
as situated in networks. But this metaphor is not without its own
liabilities. One being its “naturalism” and an affinity for related
concepts in digital media studies, perhaps in turn aided by the
cyberlibertarian fascination with “emergence” and “spontaneous order” as
dynamic tendencies made possible in the age of the home computer and then
the networked computer. The roots of the word “ecology” are oikos and
logos. Oikos is “the house,” which can slip between the household (family),
the home (environment), and property (capital). Logos slips between reason,
study, and law, with the unifying feature being the desire to find
consonance between what is, what is knowable, and, thus, that order to
which one must necessarily conform. As a result, it is metaphysical.

In the word “ecology,” we understand it to mean, broadly, the rational
study of any system of habitation, and within the natural sciences, it
retains shades of its innocence. As applied to social scientific fields
(like communication, sociology, psychology, and anthropology), the notion
of a socially formed “ecology” loses its innocence. As a creature within an
ecology, the hopeful monster is a mutation, a theoretically welcome
aberration that can survive systemic upheavals and establish a new
equilibrium that serves the health of the system. Within such a system, the
modest innovations of style and design within digital discourse exist to
keep it interesting, to drive attention, and ultimately to enhance and
preserve its role as a market. In other words, art is largely a technical
practice which serves an instrumental purpose. Indeed, it is this tension
between the apparatus and impulse that Tisselli himself takes up in his