I like the idea that one would write, whether it be for philosophy, art,
science, or love, without commitment to a pre-ordained solution.  In this
sense, sentimentality is an obstacle to a kind of art.

On the other hand, I also think, like Murat, that there might contemporary
demands placed on poetics beyond modernism....  and that works might be
forged from deliberation, not as perfected gestures, but as relational
events between rigorously engaged subjects.  Which requires the suspension
of sentimentality, but in a different way.

davin