machine dreams, and the ties forged and soldered through. more soon.

warmly,

Margaret

On 2017-05-22 08:45, Mark Marino wrote:
Hi, Machine Dreamers,

I'm so excited for this week's discussion.  Our Machine Dreams
encounter was one I will not forget.  For those of you who missed it,
you can watch a somewhat pixelated version here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFYFaWrqZik

As I read over our publication from Machine Dreams, flip through the
pages of Radio heart, or think about our time together, I'm struck by
the shear humanity of the whirls with robots.  Or rather, I'm struck
by the parts of humanity that emerge from the whirls.

Why are we so drawn to the machines of our machine dreams, as people,
as artists, as dreamers? I'm starting to think that it is not their
inability to be completely human but instead their ability to fully
embody one part of the human attributes without manifesting the full
meat sack of messy, squishy embodied being. In other words, they allow
us to imagine intensely our humanity in part.   Not metonymic but in
isolation.

An emotion.  A logical flow.  A sense of consideration without
empathy. Knowledge without understanding.

But our intense encounter with even that part of humanity -- that part
of humanity isolated from the whole -- is transformative.

"I still hear you radio heart beating
Inside the meat of mine."

And of course, no doubt this partiality is part and parcel of our
experience of one another.

That is my first thought.  Looking forward to our conversation.

Best,
Mark Marino

Margaret Rhee, Ph.D.

Visiting Assistant Professor