Thanks William and Anna.  I was so thankful for reading the Frieze article that
inspired my post.  By now both Anna and Lindsay are happily basking in the
successes of the day long seminar on Fake News.  Anna I thought I would mention
my project Private Secrets Public Lies <www.privatesecretspubliclies.net>
First conceived in 2011 to 2012, the game portion was done in processing and
its embedded in an HTML/PHP web document.  In watching the Comey hearings
yesterday I was struck by how the headlines have shifted from fakeness to
outright lies. Back when I was working on Private Secrets Public Lies I was
thinking about  how lies and secrets are incredibly interlinked.  This project
was inspired by international news reports whose origins were in the realm of
the personal: the Catholic priests’ sexual abuse scandals, chemicals of mass
destruction controversy (Valerie Plane), Bush illegal wiretaps, the private
lives of heads of state (Bill Clinton) and royalty (Princess Diana), or even
the revelations of Julian Assange’s wiki-leaks.
Private Secrets Public Lies blends the boundaries between private and public,
analog and digital. The translation of private data, enabled by the speed and
instantaneous nature of the public domain of the internet, is at the core of
this project. Secrets are at the crux of relationships within the privacy of
family dynamics or the public realm of celebrity tabloids or even international
governmental relations. The influence of digital culture and viral technology
enables the intrigue of these secrets and lies.

In Comey’s case a private dinner, a pat on the back by Trump, a nod and a wink
towards loyalty have prompted national and international attention.  The
private is public.  Yes, Anna has encouraged our subscriber artists to share
their work.  Anyone working on related projects?  Would love to hear about
them.

In the meantime I will be introducing Week 2 guests and just to let everyone
know Anna Munster and Lindsay Kelley will be back.  Lindsay I will say briefly
here that I loved your point about FAKE FOOD but more on that later.  Too many
great thoughts to be continued.

Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor