Thanks to Kevin, Byron, Murat and Aviva for participating this week as we
reflected on the notion of the fake in regards to science and art.  I realized
about midway through the week that the questions that arose were important and
thoughtful ones that actually would make an excellent month long topic in the
near future on -empyre-.  Kevin reminded us of the trend where truth-claims of
scientists have been undermined for political causes. It also reminded me of
the  fraud that big science and the pharmaceutical industry have been accused
of where research studies have been manipulated for economic gain.  Artists can
provide the critical space using  the tools and methodology of science to
create critical spaces where the public can pause, reflect, and activate a
sense of resistance.

Welcome to Randall Packer, Ana Valdes, Ana Munster and Lindsay Kelley.  Ana
Munster and Lindsay were our guests during week one and we welcome them back as
we close down our topic.  Ana Vales has been a long time participant of
-empyre- and we welcome her back this week.  Randall Packer participated in a
panel with me at ISEA in Singapore last year.   We warmly welcome all of them
to further discuss Fake News within a global context. Bios are below.

Lindsay Kelley (AU) Working in the kitchen, Lindsay Kelley's art
practice and scholarship explore how the experience of eating changes when
technologies are being eaten. Her first book is Bioart Kitchen: Art,
Feminism and Technoscience (London: IB Tauris, 2016). Bioart
Kitchen emerges from her work at the University of California Santa
Cruz (Ph.D in the History of Consciousness and MFA in Digital Art and New
Media). Kelley is a Co-Investigator with the KIAS
funded Research­-Creation and Social Justice CoLABoratory: Arts and the
Anthropocene (University of Alberta, Canada).

Anna Munster (US) Anna Munster has been at UNSW Art and Design since 2001 on a
full-time tenured
basis. She is an active researcher with two sole published books: An
Aesthesia of Networks (MIT Press, 2013), and  Materializing
New Media  (Dartmouth College Press 2006). Her current research
interests are: networked experience, media arts and theory, data and radical
empiricism, nonhuman and perception, new pragmatist approaches to media andArt.

Anna regularly collaborates artistically with Michele Barker in
the School of Media Arts, COFA. Barker and Munster are working on a large-scale
multi-channel interactive work, HocusPocus, which explores the relations
between perception, magic and the brain. They have been awarded a New Work
Grant, 2010, from the Australia Council for the Arts to realise this work.
Recent collaborative projects include: Duchenne’s smile (2-channel DV
installation, 2009), The Love Machine II (photomedia installation, 2008–1¬0),
Struck (3-channel DV installation, 2007).
She is a partner in a large international project, Immediations
<http://senselab.ca/wp2/immediations/>, hosted
by Concordia University, Montreal and funded by the Social Science and
Humanities Research Council, Canada. She has held two ARC Discovery research
grants in new media and art: 'The Body-Machine Interface in New Media Art from
1984 to the Present, 2003–5' and 'Dynamic Media: Innovative social and artistic
uses of dynamic media in Australia, Britain, Canada and Scandinavia since
1990'.  She is also an investigator on an ARC Linkage project,
'Australian Media Arts Database', which will utilise innovative user-lead and
open source databases to create a history of Australian media arts in an
international context.

She is a founding member of the online peer-reviewed
journal The Fibreculture Journal <http://fibreculturejournal.org/> and has
co-edited two special issues on Distributed
Aesthetics  <http://seven.fibreculturejournal.org/>and Web 2.0
<http://fourteen.fibreculturejournal.org/>. and on the editorial advisory
board of LeonardoBooks (MIT Press), Inflexions, CTheory,
Convergence, and Scan

Randall Packer (US) Since the 1980s, multimedia artist, composer, writer and
educator Randall
Packer has worked at the intersection of interactive media, live performance,
and networked art. He has received critical acclaim for his socially and
politically infused critique of media culture, and has performed and exhibited
at museums, theaters, and festivals internationally, including: NTT
InterCommunication Center (Tokyo), ZKM Center for Art & Media (Karlsruhe),
Walker Art Center, (Minneapolis), Corcoran Gallery of Art (Washington, DC), The
Kitchen (New York City), ZERO1 Biennial (San Jose), Transmediale Festival of
Media (Berlin), and Theater Artaud (San Francisco). Packer is a writer and
scholar in new media, most notably the co-editor of Multimedia: From Wagner to
Virtual Reality and the author of his long running blog: Reportage from the
Aesthetic Edge. He has written extensively for publications including: MIT
Press, Johns Hopkins University Press, the Leonardo Journal for the Arts &
Sciences, LINK, ART LIES, Hyperallergic, and Cambridge University Press. He
holds an MFA and PhD in music composition and has taught multimedia at the
University of California Berkeley, Maryland Institute College of Art, American
University, California Institute of the Arts, Johns Hopkins University, The
Museum of Modern Art, and most recently at Nanyang Technological University
(NTU) in Singapore. At NTU, he is an Associate Professor of Networked Art where
he founded and directs the Open Source Studio (OSS) project, an educational
initiative exploring collaborative online research and teaching in the media
arts. At NTU, he organized the Art of the Networked Practice | Online
Symposium, a global event which featured participants from more than 40
countries around the world. Currently he is organizing the Third Space Network
(3SN), an Internet broadcast channel for live media arts and creative dialogue.

Ana Valdes (UR) Ana Valdes writer
Art curator and social anthropologist born in Uruguay and political prisoner
during several years. Lived in Sweden and became engaged in the Palestinian
struggle for an own state. Now she is working with a former inmate of
Guantanamo writing a book and making a film.

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Art