Wow. Hello.
Have finally consolidated my email operations after 3-4 years; been catching
up.

Yes, Fakes, hoaxes, mediated resistances - much of my career, although in
the UAE I am takng a different approach, having been on the outside of the
bubble of US Media Narcissism.

Thanks all for your discussion of the approaches of resistance.  Activism
and resistance was a big part of my practice, starting with haymarket Riot
(a cultural hacktivist media group Jon Epstein and I founded in 1990, and
occasionally produces some work today, although seldom), RTMark, The Yes
Men, Manifest.AR, Pocha Nostra (for 3-4 interventions), Terminal Time, and
Second Front.
I think each of these has had its own voice,and I think there are many
others.

I think that in each of these, I was never really a character in my own
narrative, which from an artist's perspective, seems odd.
Anonymity has been essential for the detournement of media institutional
power.  Again, as an artist, it has been a little counterproductive, but
IMO, that was never the point. Subject, not object.

For many of the projects, it seems that a core consideration is the point of
institutional/media ecological insertion.
For Haymarket Riot, it was doppelganging the educational media apparatus, as
out EBN-like media was "sold" as new forms of educational media (i.e.
postmodern Schoolhouse Rock)

This took me into RTMark/The Yes men, which was a circus fun hose mirror of
industrial video culture, which is generally of poor quality, again, ghosting
your target is essential. Showing the dark reflection of an already dark
subject is a great modality of the detour.  However, fake news does this but
often better.

However, showing a satirical reflection is clearly different than creating an
alternative reality and somehow suggesting it is an objective reality, however
dystopic.  This has been the difference in my eyes.

Second Front, for me, has always made me wonder whether a virtual nuclear
weapon went off in a game world, would it ever have an effect? (I know about
the 2007 griefer  'attacks' in Second Life)

But after living overseas and seeing Jordan Wofson's "Real Violence" at the
Whitney, I'm beginning to feel like creating "fire with fire" critical media no
longer works after the election of Donald Trump, as American media culture has
essentially aestheticized chaos.  In my practice in the UAE, I have been
thinking about how to create alternative futures using science fiction.  This
is an upcoming project that I am part of with Alaskan artist Nathan Shafer.
Taking this approach references writers like lem, Roddenberry, Clarke, and
Heinlein who approached critical content through the metaphorical scrim of
fiction.

One amazing artist who has taken this approach is Larissa Sansour, in her work
"Unreal Estate", which shows a futuristic Palestinean state, or critical use of
archaeology in her current work.

It makes me wonder whether criticism and discourses, in the Foucaultian sense,
still have an equivalence.

My$.02 for now.
-P