Dear all:

Glad to be taking part.

I met Tony Conrad and first started playing music with him in 1994, when he
came to Chicago to record the album *Slapping Pythagoras* for the Table of
the Elements label.  I knew the tiniest bit about him as someone who had
been a participant in the Theatre of Eternal Music many many years before,
and that he had played a role in the prehistory of the Velvet Underground.
I think that I was also aware of *The Flicker*, but only as a rumor.  Jim
O'Rourke, with whom at the time I played in a group called Gastr del Sol,
had recently returned from a festival in Frankfurt where he had seen Tony
do one of the first *Early Minimalism* performances, and he was bouncing
off of the ceiling with excitement, and he had arranged for Tony to come to
Chicago to record with a bunch of our friends.  On *Slapping Pythagoras* I
was one of six in a hapless ad hoc ensemble of people bowing electric
guitars.  Tony's coaching session for the recording was more like a lecture
on just intonation and tuning systems and blew all of our minds and also
had us busting guts with laughter.  We more or less couldn't believe that
this guy was real.  On that record, I also play percussion.  Tony needed a
low sound and a high sound, so I thudded a pillow with a baseball glove and
pinged a pint glass with a rolled up guitar cable.  We hit it off, and so
in various configurations I recorded with Tony, toured with him, played
with him in an ensemble performing Pauline Oliveros's *Primordial/Drift*
(man, that was fun), hung out a bunch, interviewed him, wrote about him in
my book *Records Ruin the Landscape*, did time on the board of ISSUE
Project Room with him, etc., etc.  He keeps popping up -- or his ideas do
or shards of his sense of humor -- in two book-length poems that I've
written that are also stabs at music writing.

Paige's recollection about Tony's sense of his collaboration with Beverly
Grant rings true to me.  I mean, Tony had his work cut out for him showing
up in Chicago to play with this gaggle of white, twenty-something dudes
(and one white, something gal) whose worldview was considerably narrower
than any of us understood; his mission to school us expanded far beyond
tuning systems.  He was always in his weird Socratic way making us think
about how it might be possible that we were doing all of these rad things
we were so proud of doing.  I remember a group interview in Chicago a
couple of years later for a Table of the Elements festival where it was one
musical ego after the next, myself included, trying to get in a few words
about their important upcoming projects and all that Tony wanted to talk
about was how Chicago seemed a great place to live cheaply and not have to
work a lot, and how you could *definitely *get by not having a car, and how
people were very attached to their cars in an unhealthy way and that
Chicago's public transportation seemed pretty good and the city eminently
navigable by bike.

I'll toss one other thing out there.  I can't really remember Tony ever
blowing his own horn re the breadth of media or disciplines in which he
worked, unless it was to thwart expectations.  Around the time of those
first meetings in Chicago, Tony screened a number of his films -- they
floored a lot of folks, suddenly it was all we wanted to talk about -- but
he seemed more jazzed to discuss *Studio of the Streets*, his public-access
TV show in Buffalo, and the homework helpline that he ran.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 4:36 PM Paige Sarlin <p.sar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> Maria de Los Angeles
>> Gabriela Cordoba Vivas
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 10:51 PM Renate Ferro <rfe...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> ----------empyre- soft-skinned space----------------------
>>> Dear -empyre-
>>> Welcome to October already.  The leaves are falling here in Ithaca and
>>> the furnace is on.  I am feeling the impending darkness of autumn creeping
>>> into my afternoon activities.  I can only imagine the light where so many
>>> of you are.
>>>
>>> We welcome a month of discussion on Practice and Play: Gestures Across
>>> Genres organized by Margaret Rhee to celebrate innovation in
>>> cross-disciplinary art making.  Many of you will remember Margaret's
>>> discussion on Robot Poetics in May of 2017
>>> http://lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au/pipermail/empyre/2017-May/009683.html
>>>
>>> Margaret is an incredible poet, writer and artist.  We are so lucky to
>>> have her on our -empyre- Editorial Advisory Board.  She brings warmth to us
>>> from Buffalo, New York this month with her diverse set of guests.
>>> Her biography is below.  Margaret will post the first post of the month
>>> tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Welcome Margaret and thank you. We look forward.
>>> Renate
>>>
>>> Margaret Rhee is a poet, scholar, and new media artist. She is the
>>> author of Love, Robot, named a 2017 Best Book of Poetry by Entropy Magazine
>>> and awarded a 2018 Elgin Award by the Science Fiction Poetry Association
>>> and the 2019 Best Book Award in Poetry by the Asian American Studies
>>> Association. Her poetry chapbooks include Yellow and Radio Heart; or, How
>>> Robots Fall Out of Love, and forthcoming collection Poetry Machines: A
>>> Letter to a Future Reader, a collection of lyrical essays on poetry, and
>>> the intersections of cinema, art, and new media. Currently, she is
>>> completing her monograph How We Became Human: Race, Robots, and the Asian
>>> American Body. She was a College Fellow in Digital Practice in the English
>>> Department at Harvard University and a member of MetaLab @ Harvard. She
>>> received her Ph.D. from UC Berkeley in ethnic studies with a designated
>>> emphasis in new media studies. She is an Assistant Professor in the
>>> Department of Media Study at SUNY Buffalo and co-leads Palah 파랗 Light
>>> Studios, a creative space for poetry, participation, and pedagogy through
>>> technology.
>>>

>>> Renate Ferro
>>> Visiting Associate Professor
>>> Director of Undergraduate Studies
>>> Department of Art
>>> Tjaden Hall 306
>>> rfe...@cornell.edu

>>> empyre forum
>>> empyre@lists.artdesign.unsw.edu.au
>>> http://empyre.library.cornell.edu
>>

>> --
>>

>> Margaret Rhee, Ph.D.
>>
>> College Fellow in Digital Practice (2018 - 2019)
>> Department of English
>> Harvard University
>>
>> Assistant Professor in Media Theory (2019)

Professor of Music
Performance and Interactive Media Arts (PIMA)
Brooklyn College and the Graduate Center, CUNY
http://pima-brooklyncollege.info

Coming in October:
Anthony McCall & David Grubbs, *Simultaneous Soloists* (Pioneer Works Press)
https://pioneerworks.org/publishing/simultaneous-soloists/
The Underflow, *The Underflow *(Corbett vs. Dempsey)