Hello empyre,

I contributed to empyre last March as part of Refiguring the Future's
In/Visibility feature.

Looking back at my contribution, it connects directly to the work I am
doing right now. I mentioned a disability organizer group in Second Life
called Virtual Ability, and its founder Gentle Heron. Tomorrow I am having
a panel discussion of disability community and virtual worlds and I was
able to invite Gente Heron as a panelist! As well as Akemi Nishida and
Katie O'Neill.

Prior to the panel discussion I will be co-performing with my artificial
intelligent Avatar @DigitalQueer <https://www.instagram.com/digitalqueer/>.

I know we in this listserv live in many different places, but I would like
to extend the invitation to you if you IRL if you live in Chicago, and to
everyone else via:
Livestream: https://youtu.be/kxTpQQg0-og
or, Second Life location:
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Virtual%20Ability/54/187/21

Tomorrow
Thursday Dec. 12, 2019, 6–8PM CST
Floor 4
Mana Contemporary <https://www.manacontemporary.com/>
2233 S Throop Street
Chicago, IL 60608

RSVP and Access information:
And yet it cannot stay empty forever, for then it would simply dissolve |
Poetry Reading and Panel
<https://www.manacontemporary.com/event/and-yet-it-cannot-stay-empty-forever-for-then-it-would-simply-dissolve-poetry-reading-and-panel/>

And yet it cannot stay empty forever, for then it would simply dissolve, is
a poetry reading co-performed by New Media Program artist-in-residence
Anneli Goeller and their artificial intelligent 3D scanned avatar,
@DigitalQueer <https://www.instagram.com/digitalqueer/>. Following the
performance, Goeller moderates a round-table discussion on the social
construction of disability and the radical possibilities of virtual worlds
for disabled people. Panelists provide context and share their research
about disability culture, activism, and technology.

ACCESSIBILITY
Mana Contemporary has a wheelchair accessible entrance on the west side of
the building. Service dogs are welcome. There are all gender bathrooms and
ADA compliant bathrooms are available on floors 2, 4, 5, and 6. All floors
are accessible via the elevator. The space is not scent-free but we ask
that attendees please refrain from wearing any scented perfumes or products
to this event. CART services will be provided. ASL interpretation will be
available if requested two weeks in advance. The performance will consist
of a quiet poetry reading in the style of ASMR on a soundsystem and a large
projected video that moves slowly and uses light colors. Foam ear plugs
will be provided.

ANNELI GOELLER
Anneli Goeller uses 3D simulation and artificial intelligence as
speculative tools to create algorithmic selves and expand the concept of
personhood. Their work seeks to define queer narratives within the digital
realm, expand identity via data ownership and explore symptoms of PTSD
using dissociation as a conceptual framework. Goeller received their MFA
from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. They have been exhibited
internationally and on the Internet.

ALICE KRUEGER / GENTLE HERON
Alice Krueger has held careers as a K–12 teacher and an education
researcher, delivering professional development to educators nationally and
internationally. After these careers were cut short by multiple sclerosis,
Krueger founded a virtual world-based international community of support
for people with disabilities, and is president of a nonprofit that aids
research projects using virtual worlds to support disability studies.

AKEMI NISHIDA
Akemi Nishida uses research, education, and activism to investigate how
ableism is exercised in relation to other forms of social injustice.
Nishida works as an assistant professor in Disability and Human Development
and Women’s and Gender Studies Departments at the University of Illinois at
Chicago and is a member of AYLP, a Chicago-based grassroots organization
that works for the race and disability justice.

KATIE L. O’NEILL
Katie L. O’Neill is a choreographer, educator, and disability rights
activist based in Chicago. Interested in blurring the lines between
academia and performance art, O’Neill has presented workshops and
performances internationally. She holds a BFA from Moore College of Art and
Design, an MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and is
pursuing a doctorate in Disability Studies at the University of Illinois at
Chicago.

Best,
Anneli Goeller

--