Hello all,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to share some thoughts about the current
pandemic.

In a recent op-ed that I wrote with one of my advisors, Anna Watkins Fisher, we
contextualize our pandemic and the under preparedness of the US federal
government to provide crucial medical supplies in a quick history of lean
production ("Nothing to Spare
<https://medium.com/@annawfisher/nothing-to-spare-187944835bcb?sk=e35bed1e74f3a583d7350327b0676603>”).
 In this piece, we note that both essential employees and those most likely to
lose their jobs at the moment are disproportionately women, people of color,
immigrants, and young people.

The reason I bring this up is because it has been particularly difficult for
many of my students from already marginalized communities to adjust to our
current situation. The University of Michigan is a predominantly white and
incredibly affluent university, and this is reflected in our student body. My
students of color and students from less affluent families frequently express
difficulty adjusting to and navigating life on campus during an average
semester, i.e. one that a pandemic has not disrupted.

I currently teach a large survey course on “digital culture” and have 75
students. Like Elizabeth at U of Toronto, we have had to quickly transition
from in person classes to an online format, and this transition is not working.
The university’s decision to take our classes online, rather than simply cancel
classes and grade students on what they were able to complete before the
pandemic, is quickly demonstrating problems with the way the university treats
it students. Making this transition is dangerous for it assumes a uniformity of
our student body that simply does not reflect reality and the challenges that
many of our students face.

What I have been witnessing in communications with my students is exactly what
Melinda described last week, a contagion of anxiety and fear. But, this
contagion does not seem at all evenly distributed, even amongst the 75 students
enrolled in the sections of the course that I teach. How are we to expect
students to complete work from a phone? What if they lack a computer or device
altogether? What if they simply cannot concentrate? What can we do about
students who have had to take on more responsibilities in their homes? (One of
my students is very concerned because their parents are considered essential
employees  and this student must provide child care for their younger
siblings).

Luckily, our university, like many others, have made all grades credit/no
credit or pass/fail for the semester. While the administration refuses to
simply stop the semester, the team of instructors that I work with to teach our
“digital culture” course have decided to simply provide full credit for all
completed assignments, excuse several others, and offer students with access
issues other ways to complete coursework (through phone calls, hand written
assignments that they can photograph or mail to us, etc.). Maybe this is all we
can do...

I hope you and your loved ones are doing as well as possible given our current
crisis.

With care,

Cengiz Salman
PhD Candidate