Hello everyone,

I think my situation here is similar to many of you who are primarily
experiencing this pandemic as a slow-down, isolate, stay-at-home,
talk-to-your-family-on-phone, wait-to-see-if-I’m-sick,
worry-about-family-and-friends period.  I’m not quite able to imagine how this
will be over soon, yet also unable to imagine the implications for future
public events (like university courses and art shows) as we know them.
University at Buffalo ended on-campus classes on March 13 as did the public
schools, so since then I’ve been a stay at home artist/professor and
home-school dad. Coincidentally, I was supposed to be talking at Cornell today,
where I was looking forward to meeting up with  Renate and Tim in person, so
its a fitting day to begin a conversation on empyre.

I haven’t yet composed an inspired manifesto for this particular moment, rather
I dwell on particular ironies and dialectics.

(1.) The impacted:  The perversity of this pandemic in the US, which now is
having a disproportionate mortality rate in African American populations,
exacerbated by the delayed national response and historical, structural
racisms. Like Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans in 2005 and Hurricane Maria in
Puerto Rico in 2017, once again, non-white US populations continually finding
oursevles disproportionately in harms way and without timely assistance.
Likewise, grocery store clerks and delivery persons are now forced to the front
lines in a survival struggle that could’ve been minimized.

(2.) Knowledge production:  In the US there is a long tradition of denigrating
intellectuals and learned experts in the name of “common sense”.  If common
sense can be correlated to lived experience, it is particularly unsuited for
“novel” things like COVID 19, epistemic shifts and post-anthropocentric
world-views, all of which are needed at this point. Conservative values are
pitted against paradigm shifts, cultural awareness, novel solutions—the out of
the ordinary must be decared usual or denied existence.

(3.) Life-sciences:  Much of my artwork of the last twenty years has sought to
undermine genome-hype.  This hype is epitomized in tropes like,
genetic-fitness, genetic-destiny, and even genetic disease.  My objection has
been on at a political, ethical, aesthetic and philosophical level, for
instance, my own philosophical objection to reductivism in the bio-sciences.
When I first heard of Watson and Crick’s famed “Central Dogma of DNA” in the
1990s, that ALL information in a cell flows from DNA->RNA->Proteins, I thought
something so rigid simply has to be wrong and probably for multiple reasons.
Retro-virus like HIV, are composed of viral RNA that reverse transcribes itself
into human DNA for instance. Virus like Corona are composed of RNA is directly
translated into proteins by a host human cell’s organelles.  Like Jonathan
noted in his recent contribution, we humans are being confronted by bugs that
don’t fit into our definitions of life and confound our ontologies, our models,
our central dogmas. Our challenges are perhaps outgrowing our models.

(4.) Naming: In the US, Trump continually repeats ethnocentric slurs like
“China Virus”. Contagions seldom seem to get the correct names.  For instance,
we still use the term “Spanish Flu” for the 1918 pandemic, even though the Flu
didn’t originate in Spain, nor wreak the most havoc there, rather it was named
so because Spain was one of few European countries during WWI not under
censorship policies and able to publish reports on the disease.  Unless other
nations feel left out, I would suggest the name Trump Flu is better fitting.
Here in the US, we could desribe this as the battle of Trump Flu vs. Obamacare.

Anyway, I hope everyone is well and safe and looking forward to connecting with
everyone this empyre week…

take care,
Paul

Paul Vanouse
Professor
Department of Art
Director of Coalesce Center for Biological Art
University at Buffalo

On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:25 PM, Sorelle Henricus