Hello to all of you.  I am feeling overwhelmed this week as Cornell actually
began classes this week online.  My job as Director of Undergraduate Studies
also has me busy virtually reaching out to potential art students who were just
accepted into our BFA program.  It is great though to have this forum to hear
about your thoughts on the pandemic as it relates to life and work. Yes Paul,
today was the day we were supposed to be hosting you on campus and then
celebrating afterwards.  How sad but thrilled you can join us on -empyre.-

I am so happy you mentioned your work revolving around genome-hype.  I am
thinking right now about the myth of simulations and models of all kinds
revolving around the reporting of this pandemic.  It appears that COVID models/
simulations are being run for all kinds of things.  What's at stake is truth
and understanding of a pandemic. The question is how can we more responsibly
use models in simulating situations with clarity and with the understanding
that manipulations and bias are the norm.  From estimating who will get Covid
to estimating who already has Covid to when the peaks will hit NYC or
Philadephia or Detroit, to how many masks, shields, or ventilators we might
need-- its all modeling and simulation.  The percentages on morbidity rate has
also changed, shifted, and is in flux.

What I have learned from your incredible work is how all these things can be
manipulated and shifted.  I am thinking of your DNA shaped Copyright symbol and
your America Project
https://www.paulvanouse.com/ap/

So happy to have you join us and looking forward to Week 2.
Best. Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies