Hi everyone, and replying to Renate in particular…

Models are fascinating things. They are tricky because they are basically
pictures or simulations, that can be actual data driven, hypothetical or purely
ideational or anywhere in-between. What they share is often a veneer of
distanced authority, even objectivity. The varied definition of models recalls
a bit of what Elaine Daston and Peter Galison, describe in their book,
Objectivity, where they showcase the emergence of the virtue of objectivity in
the 1800s in scientific images from a more illustrative virtue of "truth to
nature". When modeling a bio-social phenomena like this one,  the parameters,
how people will behave in a pandemic, have to be based in previous epidemics
and must be difficult to estimate.

I found in my research into DNA imaging, that mathematical models describing
the profound efficacy of DNA Fingerprinting (sometimes described as able to
distinguish one individual from any other who has ever lived!) generally relied
upon ideal instances in which there was no DNA contamination nor degredation,
clear imaging results, no human error, complete transparency of commercial labs
funded by prosecutors, etc. Furthermore, the statistics of for instance
likelihood of two people having the same profile were often based upon ideal
distribution of DNA mutations as if they had no basis in evolution nor
correlation with other mutations. And when DNA fingerprinting was used by
prosecutors in court, they generally stated to juries that no-two people had
the same DNA sequence (3-billion bases), as a distraction, whereas the DNA
fingerprints at the time used only about 12 actual DNA satellite sites...
(anyway, if you're interested in more of the specifics of this there is a link
on my website to an interview I did with Alessandro Ludovico for Neural IT, as
well as on the America Project link that Renate sent)...

But I'm not against models by any means, and the stakes and stakeholders here
are completely different than in the DNA wars. There was a great article in the
Atlantic a couple weeks ago by Zeynep Tufekci, called "Don't Believe the
COVID-19 Models, That’s not what they’re for." It begins by describing the
models used those of Cholera outbreak in mid nineteenth century England, which
used data to correlate Cholera spread relative to the position of certain wells
in the city. These models contradicted the aristocratic belief that Cholera was
spread through the air (by poor people), and changed the policy toward its
outbreak.

What is fascinating about models is that they can have a predictive aspects,
but they also have a communicative potential, and when the model communicates
most effectively, it often negatively impacts its own predictions... Tufekci
writes:

 "Here’s the tricky part: When an epidemiological model is believed and acted
on, it can look like it was false. These models are not snapshots of the
future. They always describe a range of possibilities—and those possibilities
are highly sensitive to our actions."

Of course the efficacy of a model's communicative potential doesn't happen in a
vacuum. In the US, the leading model was generally repressed. I think this will
become incredibly political this summer in the forthcoming science wars as our
modeling will be described in both how accurate it is as well as how effective
at illustrating possible trajectories…

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good weekend.
pv