Hi all!

Likewise, I have been enjoying the exchange and hope it’s okay to intervene at
such a late stage.  Here’s some of my thoughts...

In OOO/SR, we struggle against the expectation of a servile response on the
part of objects.  We acknowledge them as actors, as modes of existence. But, as
this discussion has pointed out, the next step — in which we don’t allow theory
or philosophy to build in an expectation of servile response from those who
engage in actual political struggles and social movements — is difficult.
Which is to say, university disciplines, academic exchanges, and conference
circuits are structured in a way that tends to position certain domains of
knowledge and certain objects as sources of raw data for theorization.  There
persists, in institutionalized form, a presumption (even if we don’t share it)
that theorists or philosophers generate new paradigms (usually around specific
objects), and then those who deal with ‘older’ or less theorized objects are
supposed to rush to fill in the gaps in the paradigm.  This presumption of a
servile response might be one definition of a ‘masculinist’ stance that doesn’t
wig out in a reactive way about the prevalence of white male europhones
generating theory and philosophy.

Obviously the emphasis on objects in OOO/SR is opposed to such a
knowledge/power formation. Yet we shouldn’t suppose that we can live up to this
challenge by neatly dividing stuff up into new fields, namely, “I’ll do
quasars, and you enter into struggles against the State with aboriginal people,
but we’ll agree on OOO.” If, in contrast, the leveling effects of flat ontology
are to be queering, we have to take seriously the ways in which expectations
for a servile relation are built into our knowledge production.

In this respect, I wanted to pose a general question about phenomenology that
may be related to such queering.  I hope it doesn’t seem too philosophical,
but, as someone who is usually on the low theory side of things, I wanted to
ask about one of things that I have not been able to sort out within OOO/SR:
the status of transitivity and predication.  I am inspired here by Muriel
Combes’s careful reading of Simondon, and it seems to me that the notion of
‘transductive being’ comes close to what we’re considering here as queering,
while a phenomenology that sustains prediction in its approach to objects
(objects + attributes) or remains in the domain of transitivity may be closer
to the masculinist stance in that it still expects servility.

Here’s the citation from Combes that comes to mind:

“Following this ontogenetic perspective, the yellow color of sulfur must itself
be explained as appearing in the course of the individuation that is operated
within the superfused solution. Although Simondon does not speak of the
formation of the color of sulfur, it seems important to signal that his
description makes possible an ontogenesis of color, that is, an explication of
the manner in which the yellow of sulfur is formed at the same time as the
sulfur crystal; which is quite different from what a phenomenological
description would give. In effect, phenomenology shares with the philosophy of
individuation the rejection of the substantialist approach that believes itself
capable of defining the object independently of the predicates that can be
attributed to it; countering Descartes, it will say, for instance, that one
cannot make yellow a predicate of the substance “wax,” that yellow is the
yellow of the wax and the wax itself is nothing other than its yellow. Renaud
Barbaras sums it up quite well when he writes that what Descartes could not
admit was that “the iden­tity of the object is constituted straight from
sensible qualities.” But this phenomenological approach, in which the object is
transitive to its sensible qualities, is still distant from Simondon’s
approach, in which the object is a transductive being: we might sum up what
separates Simondon from phenomenology (despite his indebtedness to it, which he
indicates by dedicating L’individu et sa genèse physico-biologique “to the
memory of Maurice Merleau-Ponty”) by saying that it is not enough, in his view,
to pay close attention to the movement of appearing and to identify an object
with the appearing of its being, which assumes that a perceiving subject is
given; our thinking still needs to go deeper into systems in formation, or, as
he writes in the context of his description of the formation of a clay brick,
“we would need to be able to enter into the mold with the clay.”

Isn’t entering into the mold with the clay, that is, transductive being, what
we’re trying to get at with the questions about “not all objects exist equally.”

Thanks for making this so much fun!

Tom