Just want to point out this story bears an uncanny resemblance to the current conviction of the Italian seismologists, in relation to te response by the scientific community; I've been following this closely online but also in Science magazine, which goes into amazing detail. So it's not just fiction, and it's connected, as in the current example, also with the notion that science harbors truth even in uncanny and critical situations - where the truth may even be recognized as problematic or wavering at best.

- Alan