Following Simon's very interesting reference to Malabou, I tried to get some
information about her book, The New Wounded: From Neurosis to Brain Damage
(Fordham University Press, 2012),
and it seems very pertinent to the discussion we have had here, also to the
brief excursion I suggested to Kafka's Wound and the traumatic scene earlier in
the week, and to the questions about pain (self-experienced, other-experienced).

I found this:

Malabou first marshals scientific evidence demonstrating that the brain has
self-regulating circuits involved with emotion. Freud argued that because the
brain cannot self-regulate, there must be some "extra-neuronal" system to help
it deal with trauma. But scientists such as Joseph LeDoux and Antonio D'Amasio
have shown that the limbic system, a series of interconnected brain areas that
engage in emotional processing, can self-regulate its activity in ways that
might have surprised Freud. Damage to this system impairs patients' ability to
feel emotion and make decisions tempered with emotional insight. Malabou points
out that all trauma—whether it includes a direct injury to these brain areas or
not—results in dysfunction of the limbic system. Patients display "coolness,"
disaffection, and indifference. She uses this observation to argue for "an
emergent, globalized psychic pathology that is identical in all cases and all
contexts." In other words, people traumatized by political violence all around
the world share the symptoms of limbic system dysfunction. According to
Malabou, our new understanding of the brain both renders Freud's idea of
"sexuality" as the cause of psychological dysfunction unnecessary and blurs the
boundaries between politics and biology.

In order to shift traumatic etiology from "sexuality" to "cerebrality," Malabou
turns to the traumas inflicted by war. At the start of the 20th century, "war
neuroses" manifested in symptoms such as memory loss, confusion, tics, and
paralysis were considered "neurotic" responses to psychological stress. Modern
medicine, however, has come to understand war wounds such as PTSD and traumatic
brain injuries as originating from the traumatic event itself, not from an
individual's particular psyche. For Malabou, the association of psychological
problems and physical wounds demonstrates "the impossibility of confusing
traumatic factors and psychoneurotic factors." This conclusion is meant to be
applicable to all "wounds" of "traumatic accident," including diseases that
senselessly attack the mind, such as Alzheimers.

The second crucial term elucidated in this book is "destructive plasticity"—the
creation of a new identity through destruction of the old one. It is almost as
hard to pin down as "cerebrality." How can we say that a person's identity is
totally erased by trauma? In anticipation this very question, Malabou reaches
for wounds on the farthest end of the severity spectrum. Here, she quotes Crocq:

If we ask patients about their experiences of these changes of personality, we
observe that this is no metaphor. The patients find themselves equally changed;
they no longer recognize themselves as they were before. And this is not simply
due to the fact that they are sad about having undergone a difficult event; it
is, more profoundly, on the level of their entire way of living, that they come
to realize that a new being is within them, a being whom they do not recognize.

The idea is that the dysfunction that follows trauma cannot arise from meaning
buried in that old, obliterated self. The old onion of the psyche, with its
layers upon layers of meaning, is simply not there to peel apart in analysis;
rather, it has been replaced by a new self, which requires a different clinical
approach. Malabou seeks to redefine not only traumatic etiology but also to
radically revise our understanding of the injured subject.

Although the project of uniting psychoanalysis and neuroscience under a single
conceptual banner is promising and perhaps even necessary in light of what we
now know about the brain, Malabou's new framework raises more questions than it
answers. For instance, while patients with brain injuries often talk about an
"old me" and a "new me," they generally experience some sort of continuity
between the two. Childhood memories may remain unaltered, and if those memories
belong to the "old me," what does it mean that the "new me" still lays claim to
them? And how might "destructive plasticity" help us understand what happens in
cases where the traumatic event is more subtle? Is identity destroyed and a new
one created in cases of concussion, also known as minor traumatic brain injury?
And what about damage that occurs over time, as in Alzheimer's? When can we say
the old self is gone and a new one present? It seems one might argue for a
difference in degree, not kind.

While modern neuroscience has shown that a group of neurons firing in a
particular pattern can also be described as a certain feeling, is still far
from articulating the relationship between the brain and the subjective
experience of the mind. Within the discipline, this falls into the category of
what is known as a levels problem. Scientists can describe, in great detail,
what happens on a number of different levels—the molecular, the neuronal, the
behavioral, etc.—but they often can't connect the activity on one level to the
activity on another.

* from a review by Meehan Crist  (http://www.bookforum.com/review/10287)

This notion of an "emergent, globalized psychic pathology"  is quite upsetting,
is it not?

J Birringer