pain, n.
late 13c., "punishment," especially for a crime; also "condition one feels when hurt, opposite of pleasure," from O.Fr. peine "difficulty, woe, suffering, punishment, Hell's torments" (11c.), from L. poena "punishment, penalty, retribution, indemnification" (in Late Latin also "torment, hardship, suffering"), from Gk. poine "retribution, penalty, quit-money for spilled blood," from PIE *kwei- "to pay, atone, compensate" (see penal <http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=penal&allowed_in_frame=0>). The earliest sense in English survives in phrase on pain of death. "Pain" seems to be related thus to "pay," and remorse, or its display, is intimately related to concepts of justice and retribution. Public displays of screaming penitence under torture, in pre-Enlightenment Europe, and current media coverage of trials in which the faces and demeanor of the defendants are scrutinized for signs of remorse...which are weighed in consideration of a just penalty... this idea of paying with emotion, how does it tie in with empathy?