The flooding and power outages are a bummer.
I live in zone B which is the secondary evacuation zone. Zone A is one block
from me.
The subways are flooded and they are beginning to pump them out.
Last year we had a hurricane hit New York at the same time. It's odd because
the year
before that we were sent emergency evacuation plans for our neighborhood in
case of hurricanes.
The hard part is all the people who must evacuate. This also happened during
9/11 and the hurricane last year.
Without power the high-rise apartment building don't have water. So if you want
to flush our bath you must carry water up the stairs.
And of course theres no elevator, no refrigeration for food etc..  But this is
the fourth blackout since 9/11.
New Yorker have no choice but to cope.
I have a house in the mountains of Pennsylvania. I split my time between New
York and PA. We were up there when the storm hit.
We also have a backup propane generator because we tend to get hit with high
winds that known out power up here.
I always thought of this place as a refuge and it appears to be becoming more
so.

G.H. Hovagimyan
http://nujus.net/~gh
http://artistsmeeting.org