From: empyre-boun...@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au
[empyre-boun...@lists.cofa.unsw.edu.au] on behalf of Nicky Donald
[nicky.don...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 11:55 AM
To: soft_skinned_space
Subject: Re: [-empyre-] Executives and corporatization

I'd like to put a couple of points from the other side of the fence (and the
Pond). It's not targeted at any of the posts here, largely because the US is a
different planet.

The UK academic establishment has always regarded and treated University
administrators with contempt. They have historically  been part-time jobs for
women who exist only to serve the great and good.

Time and time again administrators are bullied, shouted at and regarded as
inferior. The attitude of many academic staff, especially, I have to say, the
young ones on the make (professor by 35, HoD by 40, devil take the hindmost,
probably the "stars" you mention) is shocking.

Now that universities are facing cuts across the board, the administrative
staff have been the first to go. Rather than abandoning their silos and
embracing cross-disciplinary projects or, God forbid, engaging with industry
and wider society, the academic elite are entrenching themselves and blaming
the "proliferation of administrators". The main reason there seem to be so many
is that they've never noticed them before. As the cuts begin to bite, stuff
just isn't getting done like it used to.

A University free from administration is absurd. Labelling highly-paid managers
arriving from commercial companies and driving up senior salaries as
"administrators" just betrays contempt for the little people who make sure we
get paid, get our paperclips, get our proposals in on time etc. We need to
distinguish between administrators and senior managers/executives, and to
appreciate the excellent work that many of the latter do in these hard times.

Having said all that, I agree with most of the points, though not all attempts
to democratise Higher Education are neo-liberal conspiracies (neo-liberal
doesn't mean anything here, although the anti-intellectual movement is gaining
ground in the UK too.) 25 years ago, most of my US High School friends had to
join the military to get to University, since they were poor, or
lower-middle-class. Freedom of speech is nothing without freedom of thought,
and that shouldn't come at the price of a lifetime of debt.

Nicky

On Nov 26, 2012 5:58 AM, "David Golumbia"