Dear Friends,

On behalf of -empyre-, we want to express our deepest sympathy to the close
friends and family of Beatriz da Costa, who passed away on Thursday night after
a long and courageous battle against cancer.  Beatriz was a co-founder with
Jaime Schulte and Brooke Singer of Preemptive Media, a former collaborator of
Critical Art Ensemble, and Associate Professor of Art at the University of
California, Irvine, where she specialized in the intersections of art, science,
engineering, and politics.  As so many of you know, Beatriz was an innovator in
the use of wetware in her artistic interventions and more recently had been
experimenting with the potential of interspecies co-production in promoting the
responsible use of natural resources and environmental sustainability.  She
also was a leader in our broad field of adapting emergent technologies to
address the politics and configurations of social justice.

Beatriz was always one of the first to respond to our e-mails about monthly
-empyre- themes, and was a brilliant interlocutor on -empyre-.   At
exhibitions, conferences, and when visiting Cornell, we always marveled at her
warm generosity with students and members of the public who requested further
discussion about her projects.  Yes, she was the epitomy of an artist
experimenting with the flexibilities of soft-skinned spaces.

In the next few months, we will be organizing a special monthly discussion in
her memory on wetware and interspecies co-production.  Please feel free to
contact us if you would be interested in participating as a featured guest.

All our best,

Tim and Renate

Tim Murray and Renate Ferro
Co-Managers, -empyre- soft-skinned space

Director, Society for the Humanities
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
A. D. White House
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York. 14853