A review of the outputs for the units of assessments in art and design, the
performing arts and music, for the UK's 2008 Research Assessment Exercise,
would deliver many examples of practice based work that were submitted and
reviewed within a framework focused on research value, most of which was
considered to be research by definition (and a proportion excellent in that
respect).

There were around 70 higher education institutions submitting research active
staff to the unit of assessment for art and design (largely practice based
work) and over 40 for performing arts, also many practice based. A further 50
or so institutions submitted to the UoA for music, which would probably consist
of 50% practice based work. I've not counted how many individual
artist/academics this represents, but it will be around a thousand, with each
submitting three or four outputs. We can therefore assume there are thousands
of practice based outputs documented in the RAE database.

http://rae.ac.uk/submissions/

Music is an interesting case here. It has been a convention in music for 100%
practice based PhDs to be submitted for many years. Music has long occupied a
privileged position in research-led universities, whereas the other creative
arts have, in most instances (at least in the UK), come to this in only the
last two or three decades. My main experience of academia as a student was
working in the electronic music studio at Adelaide University, which was almost
exclusively used by PhD students in composition (that was in the 70's).
Obviously this was not a rock'n'roll environment - the Professor who ran the
studio smoked a pipe and had leather elbow patches on his tweed jacket,
representing the cliche of the senior academic of the time. But it was a highly
creative environment dedicated to music practice and the sort of place where
technologies and practices were developed that facilitated more popular musical
forms (eg: the Professor in question developed the synthesisers used by Pink
Floyd on Dark Side of the Moon, a few years earlier).

We have a music school within Edinburgh College of Art (part of Edinburgh
University) and there is little debate there about whether music practice can
be research. It clearly can be, and 100% practice based! However, music is
distinct, at least when considering the main tropes of music within academia
(contemporary classical, experimental and electronic music dominate), as much
of it exists as writing, in the form of the score. For the PhD the score, along
with its performance, is often considered sufficient for the submission. There
need not be any further contextualisation of the work, other than that required
for the viva. That said, knowing a number of PhDs in our music department, they
go to great lengths to contextualise and justify their work, historically,
theoretically and technically (often all three at the same time). They are
artists and they consider it default that they intellectually justify their
work. As an artist myself I've always assumed I have to justify my practice
intellectually, whether in argument, in writing or in practice. So, I disagree
with Adrian when he states that art does not have to justify itself. I think it
does, and always has had to, just like any other human activity. Art is not
special. An anthropologist like Tim Ingold writes insightfully about the value
of creativity in culture and points out how this is core in social formation,
not a special form of human activity.

To give an example of a music PhD, a professional jazz musician submits a
number of scores for ensemble pieces and music for dance. This has been
contextualised in relation to jazz history (both traditional and modern - eg:
Miles Davis, but also working James Brown into the mix) and modern classical
music (eg: Stravinsky to Cage), looking at very specific aspects of each of
these musical traditions and how they inform one another. This has then been
reflected upon in the compositions the student has prepared, which function as
exemplars of the hypothesis. The main evidence are the scores. This is
considered quite conventional as a PhD submission. I am also aware of similar
forms of PhD in the area of creative writing.

best

Simon

On 20 Jan 2013, at 15:27, Cecile Chevalier wrote:

> <So now I feel even more confused, as no one has ever yet, here, mentioned an
> artwork produced in the university and submitted for review (evaluation,
> knowledge attesting, confirmation of output, impact?), influence,
> significance?  meaning?   so where are these practices, and how do they
> matter? how come this is never addressed"?
> what work is generated?> <Johannes>
>
> To amend the balance in a small way.... VIva Viva exhibition in 2008...
> where work and thesis were accessible, the exhibition was open and advertise
> to the general public as well as academics...
>
> http://www.closeupfilmcentre.com/vertigo_magazine/volume-4-issue-2-winter-spring-20091/viva-viva-an-exhibition-at-p3-gallery-london-december-2008/
>
> ...The works displayed clearly showed different approaches to practice-based
> research - some works were clearly dominant in their practice, other seems to
> use practice as a method to access/present knowledge. This may have reflected
> their percentage of practice.... can a practice-based PhD be 80% practice?
> what is the minimum percentage that practice can be in practice-based
> research?
>
> I was truly excited by the exhibition (at the time I had not started my PhD),
> although it had similarities with a traditional art exhibition in its format
> (allocated/curated space and documentation) the content of the work and
> documentation was not 'art' but 'research art' (in its dominance of knowledge
> over aesthetics). But what I valued was its access to the general audience
> that I was then part of, it made research accessible. Sadly there were no
> Viva Viva in 2009 or any other year after that, which in some aspect
> reinforces Johannes's questions as opposed to answer them.
>
> Cécile

Simon Biggs
si...@littlepig.org.uk http://www.littlepig.org.uk/ @SimonBiggsUK skype:
simonbiggsuk

s.bi...@ed.ac.uk Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/edinburgh-college-art/school-of-art/staff/staff?person_id=182&cw_xml=profile.php
http://www.research.ed.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/simon-biggs%285dfcaf34-56b1-4452-9100-aaab96935e31%29.html

http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/  http://www.elmcip.net/
http://www.movingtargets.org.uk/  http://designinaction.com/
MSc by Research in Interdisciplinary Creative Practices
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=656&cw_xml=details.php