dear All,

I have only now began to read through some of the posts on this highly
contested/defended today subject (art and research, art as research) and this
quote came across as something I wanted to write towards and perhaps "oppose"
it a little:

"art is non instrumental because it does not have to refer to anything outside
of itself, if it desires, its use value is to itself only."

I think when Carolee talks about process as opposed to practice (thank you JB
for that artforum quote by the way), and the way I understand the process as
well --- it leads us, pulls us, away from [and towards] strangely familiar and
unfamiliar places, both at the same time. Both familiarity and recognition as
well as strangeness and unknown territories, create a productive place for the
work and its reception.  Thus I disagree profoundly with the idea of complete
independence of art from life (as referent) which the above sentence implies, I
think. There is always some type of a connecting tissue, a link with real
event, which is why a dialogue is even possible. Of course the question arises
how to "defend" that inner and connecting-with-outer tissue. Critics and
historians are "practicing" answers to this question in what Edward Shanken I
believe calls MCA (main stream contemporary art) -- this "defense" (or
de-fence) is practiced by dealers, critics and historians on our behalf, while
in the NMA (new media art) we are more often writing or exposing our thinking
directly as theory and making it visible first hand.

This apparent conflict between "art" and "research" has many faces -- again
something even Shanken agrees in one of his recent posts on Rhizome -- that a
lot of new media work is not great (if we assume that new media means it is
work that comes automatically with theory and research and writing etc.) but he
also states that a lot of MCA is equally not interesting or equally not
relevant (also true). Thus, if we take the "power" of the work "itself" aside
for a moment, I want to ask whether a profound research done by an artist along
side the "work of art" that " stands on its own"  takes anything away from the
'art"? -- or, perhaps, it becomes part of it , at least in the best case
scenario...

I recently had a conversation [following a screening of my work] with an
important artist from the MCA world whom I mutually adore. However his
complaint was that I spoke as part of my screening, especially that I spoke of
the issues or histories and places that I researched and that it took away some
of the "magic" or mystery. He said - "let THEM do it".

This, this strange division between "us" and "them" seems to be as relevant in
the conversations about research and art or "practice" as is the context of
academia. The sometimes still lingering bourgeois notion of an artist as always
a priori "other" and as an outcast, comes to mind. The non-intellectual, the
mute genius, hidden in HIS studio (and then sold by Gaugosian). And, as we all
well know, it was the first wave feminist artists and writers that, among
others, brought to the fore the notion that ideology, politics, social issues,
economy, the body and the biography, all can be explicitly discussed in and
alongside the work itself. Of course since then, we have grown both into
commercialization of the ideology (and even/especially of the process
itself--enough to just take a walk through Basel etc.) which is now commodified
(again thanks to MCA machine) but we have also developed systems of questioning
values such as this assumption about the  "non instrumental art" -- and, in a
bright utopian universe, PhD for artists could offer that place of questioning.
[here, I need to also state that only in places like Australia, where the
government pays for PHDs, not in the US and nor in Europe where it is an
adventure reserved for the riches] -

Is our production defensible? By "THEM"? By us? Who has a right to stand by it
in language, in theory, in public forum and how, why? [Interestingly,
Schneemann is a very good writer - I recommend especially her conversation with
Thomas McEvilley in the  book accompanying her tremendous retrospective in the
Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, Toronto from few years back.]

--
So, there are just my few thoughts  before I dig deeper into the past posts in
this conversation---