Interesting points, Adam. I see some interesting synergies with
earlier posts as well. We've been using the analytic of "aesthetics"
on the list and I'm wondering how that might relate to your use of
"design"? Your suggestion at the end of the post regarding synbio
suggests that design might be related more to engineering, although I
don't think it a perfect overlap. Could you help me triangulate these
three terms: design, engineering, and aesthetics?

I realize that this is a lot to ask.

Phillip

--
Phillip Thurtle
Associate Professor, Comparative History of Ideas

Associate Professor, History
Adjunct Associate Professor, Anthropology
University of Washington

Adjunct Professor of Sociology
Carleton University

Co-editor of the book series In Vivo: The Cultural Mediations of
Biomedicine available from University of Washington Press