Hi all,

Thanks, Phillip, for the wonderful question. I think you're right to point
out the ambiguity in my use of "design" here. On the one hand,  design
functions in synthetic biology, as Adrian MacKenzie addresses so well in
his 2009 article, "Design in Synthetic Biology" (here:
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/staff/mackenza/papers/mackenzie_synbio_design-nov09_web.pdf),
as an engineering concept (so that synbio becomes a subset of engineering).
And it is this concept of design that has found its way, rather forcefully,
into bio-architectural discourse (esp. in Michael Hensel and David
Benjamin). In this way, I think that instead of design "deterritorializing"
scientific and design practices it may actually reinforce extremely
dangerous hierarchies. This does not mean that design cannot offer useful
conceptual tools, however.

This summer I actually taught a study abroad course in the Netherlands on
"Dutch Design and Aesthetics." One of the most compelling themes that my
students and I kept on returning to is how design, for many Dutch
designers, is always *re-*design. There is no "original" or "copy"; design
is always taking place in the middle of things -- in the midst, if you
like. While Dutch design certainly has its fair share of micro-fascisms,
tedious Modernisms, and so on, I think the notion of redesign is
instructive here: it seems to capture -- in much more compelling way than
"design-as-engineering" -- the "noisy" practice of building or designing
biological parts in the lab (as Maureen O' Malley and Bernadette Bensaude
Vincent have argued), and what it means for these parts to be redesigned as
media for the built environment. Redesign privileges process over product.
Perhaps it is in redesign and not design that we find our aesthetics.

Thanks,
Adam