Senses are like the table of elements, a new one gets added every few
years; except elements get heavier and senses get lighter.

Regarding "making the imperceptible perceptible." The term is often equated
with technology when in fact trees and pinnae "sonify" wind.

I am not that versed in the speculative realist writers you mention Marcus,
except for Tim Morton who is a good friend of mine. We did a very
interesting speaking tour through New Zealand, the two of us sitting on
stage discussing things ecological, throwing it out to audience and taking
it from there. These were audiences from broad walks of life and I'm not
sure those who know Tim's published work know about what an excellent
public intellectual he is in such settings.

Tim and I differ on certain things. I agree that notions of nature are a
liability in nature writing where you have to pull on a pair of hiking
boots to be ecological, but I think "nature" has a powerful rhetorical
function when discussing media, since media are imagined to have no nature
(except with recent green media analyses although, again, I'm also
interested in a radically positive approach).

Energies are more easily relational (they are more than that, of course)
than objects, but then again I think there is some confusion in a
slip-and-slide between objects and things. I forget who had the Latourian
litany that included "electromagnetism" among its objects, but it only
makes sense if objects are philosophical entities and, since I am primarily
a historian developing theory from the grassroots up, I leave philosophy on
that level to philosophers. I did find the OOO discussions very helpful but
only intersected them at a particular point. Someone may want to have a go
at energy-oriented this or that, but it's not on the to-do list on my fridge.

Douglas