Virtual Embodiment

Thanks to our invited discussants during week 4, Sally Jane Norman and Daniel
Tercio, as well as those who contributed to the week's discussion. During the
fourth week of discussion the topics engaged have included entrainment,
extended mind, the scaffolded self, hauntology, 'grappling', how different
languages contextualise discussion on embodiment and even how processes of
translation lead to interesting conceptual collisions, such as the mashing up
of chairs and bodies (echoing Alan Sondheim's mashed up Second Life cyborg
selves). Kirk Woolford also contributed with a discussion around his work with
augmented reality projects engaging Tim Ingold's concept of 'place-binding', a
concept as relevant in virtual space as in any other place. Other artists'
discussed, directly and indirectly, included Wesley Goatley, Michael Takeo
Magruder and el Greco. Even the classic Hollywood film Casablanca was
referenced.

Over the course of this month's discussion the concepts of the 'virtual' and
'embodiment' have shown themselves to be, as Susan Kozel noted, polysemic,
demanding definition and redefinition. It seemed that, unlike Bill Gaver,
discussants were not 'so over embodiment'. The discussion (in English, but at
times Assyrian, Icelandic, Portuguese and Greek - perhaps a future empyre
discussion might engage pluriliteracy?), touched on somatic materialism,
affect, potential, flow, resonances; it climbed through a framework of
porosity, perception and presence; looked at window-weather, bodyweather,
gabbu, the possibility of swallowing systems and carne asada. There was a good
degree of suspicion and critique of the corporate, of consuming/being consumed
by socio-technical systems and protocols, counterbalanced by some yoga, a
reminder to breathe and Sally Jane swimming in the sea.

We would like to close our July 2014 discussion on  –empyre–  soft-skinned
space about Virtual Embodiment by thanking our guest discussants Susan Kozel
(SE), Johannes Birringer (UK), Samantha Gorman (USA), Sophia Lycouris (UK),
Tamara Ashley (UK), Garth Paine (USA), Hellen Sky (AUS), Daniel Tercio (PT),
Sally Jane Norman (NZ/FR) and Sarah Whatley (UK). We would also like to thanks
all those who contributed to or followed the discussion. Lurking is a very
important part of list participation, just as reading is an integral aspect of
writing and publishing.

We wish those of you in the Northern Hemisphere a relaxing and pleasant August
whilst here in the Southern hemisphere we wish empyre members a cooler and
rapid transition to Spring. The first signs of Spring are evident here in the
Adelaide Hills, with nesting birds, early flowerings and new lambs.

empyre will take a break during August and will return in September.

Sue and Simon

SUE HAWKSLEY
independent dance artist
s...@articulateanimal.org.uk