Dear  contributors,

This post is a big THANK YOU from a lurker. The discussion was very thought
provoking, and leaves me with many references to follow up on. I did at times
wanted to jump in as what I am exploring in my art practice touches on
embodiment  and the virtual from the perspective of sitting in front of a
screen. But, my thoughts to erratic and jumpy which make me careful to not have
the words overpower the intimacy and dept of listing to the process of my new
project, and most important, not always to access internet. On the brink of the
closing of this topic, sorry , I do want to share in short what I am doing for
those interested.

 Inspired by the dancer/ choreographer/ teacher Michael Schumacher I explore
how qualities of embodiment influences the footage filmed with a
videocamera,hereby taking in consideration the different movement vocabulary
cameras, from webcams (skype) to professional cameras, impose on the user and
consequently  the viewer. I am looking for the vector in the video footage from
the angle of embodiment, interesting that the idea of vector screen came up in
an early post by Sean Cubitt.   My motivation, when working with digital screen
technology, our diverse embodiments are pressed through a binary grid, like
ground beef; thus, my question is how to escape coming out of this grid
digitized through using a form of none technical  hacking. This project is a
resistance to having the uniqueness, traumas  and diversity of qualities we,
linguistic animals, embody reduced to mashup of meta tags. To  support  this
project I offer my services and make video -impressions of dance workshops,
performances, a journey with the urban shepherd, ext. I get the opportunity to
try out my ideas, and practice; they a videos of their project. I have no clue
where this will lead me and often I doubt if my concepts are mere novel
theories and don't speak in practice.

Thank you again!!

Jacky Sawatzky

Artist

Models of Observation

http://jackysawatzky.net

https://vimeo.com/videovectors

"The convergence of media, which is an inherited quality of the computer, has
become unappealing. It reminds me of processed food where if I eat alfredo
sauce or tandoori chicken mix, I always feel like my taste buds are confined
within the limits of the chemicals used to preserve the food, by the
conventions of an mass-produced taste of tandoori chicken or alfredo sauce. I
came to the conclusion that the normalization of the senses is the commonality
between processed food and the computer screen." Screencozies