Thanks Ana.
Here comes a version in English

The German translation of Octavio Paz most read book „The labyrinth of
solitude“ (1950) was published 1969 - only a short time after the massacre on
the Plaza del Tletelolco in Mexico City. Paz added a chapter that afterwards
was also published in his book „Postdata“. The chapter has the title „Olimpiada
y Tlatelolco“. October 2 1968 between 50 and 300 students were killed by the
Mexican army on the central place of the city. Paz speaks of a intra-history
between the massacre of 1968 and other acts of violence in Mexico, tracing this
back to the fall of the rein of the Aztecs. I’m not convinced of the symbolism
of Paz’ concept but I agree that each society or culture has its own
imagination, its own historically coined nightmare of violence, it is like a
spectre, a phantasm that lives in the dreams and actualizes in times of crises.
A phantasm is anything beyond, it is part of history. But in form of trauma. It
repeats itself but does not change and it does not get a form of public
expression or of actualization which would be symbolic and unique at the same
time. Art and the juridical take part in this kind of actualization. The
culture of impunity that governs Mexico and many other countries is a crucial
element. It forecloses the working-through of traumatic experiences on the
individual as well as on the collective level.
Furthermore it makes a society believe in violence as means to solve conflicts
and not in negotiation and agreements.
The important moment of working-through perhaps is less the process of
recollection itself than a certain dramatization that allows to find a place
for the floating phantasms.
43 murdered lifes, 43 singular lifes. 43 most cruel assassinations, violence
against the singularity of each of them. Families and friends injured by this.
Antigone buries Polyneices saying that his life was unique (and therefore more
important than the law).

Reinhold

>>> http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
>>> http://www.scoop.it/t/food-history-and-trivia