Hi everyone,

We are considering bumping the default minimum node version for
emscripten-generated code, from 10.19 to 15.0:

https://github.com/emscripten-core/emscripten/pull/19192/files

The main motivation is that 10.19 is quite old at this point so most people
are likely using newer versions. And 15.0 supports wasm-bigint integration,
which would allow us to use that by default (which is nice as it avoids
workarounds for i64 values otherwise not being usable between wasm and JS -
that helps code size, speed, and compile times).

Concretely, with this change, running

emcc test/hello_world.c

would emit a.out.js and a.out.wasm that depend on node 15.0 to run. If you
run a.out.js in an older node you'll get an error in a build with
assertions enabled.

Note that this only affects the node version - if you never run your code
in node (maybe you always run in a browser) then this won't affect you.
This is also unrelated to the node version emcc itself uses internally for
the JS compiler and optimizer etc. Note also that this would only affect
the *default* version, but it will still be possible to set a different
node minimum version, using

emcc -sMIN_NODE_VERSION=101900

That sets it to 10.19.0 (the old default). That is, this just changes the
default, but support for older node versions is still possible if you set a
flag.

Overall this seems like a useful change (as mentioned, this gets us closer
to enabling wasm-bigint by default), and with low risk. In particular, the
node website's downloads are all of newer versions - even the LTS download
is higher than 15.0 (by a significant amount - 18.16). However, this might
mean that, say, someone using the default node in their Linux distro might
run into an issue, as e.g. latest Ubuntu LTS seems to have an older version
(12.0), so I wanted to check on the mailing list what people thought. It is
nice to have emcc output "just work" in common node versions, but I'm not
sure which are the most commonly-used...

- Alon