All,
I think I have finally found the culprit. It looks like there was a race
condition between an sbrk and a local copy of HEAP32. This led to an
overwrite of a memory block (really hard to nail down the exact sequence of
events with workers) which in turn led to a segmentation fault when
accessing the garbage and interpreting it as pointers into memory.
The error is gone now as far as I can see.

The memvalidate option is still not usable with emmalloc, just as a
reminder.