I share the concerns expressed about defining yet another password based
EAP method. As people have pointed out here, EAP-TTLSv0 also allows the
use of the TLS record layer to carry a password-based authentication
method without an inner tunneling of EAP.

Several months ago, I tried contacting Paul Funk, Bernard and Jari to
see if there would be an interest in publishing EAP-TTLSv0. Since we
never heard from Paul, that communication fizzled out. We (in Qualcomm)
have an implementation of PEAPv0, PEAPv1 and TTLSv0 and would like to
see the IETF publish a standard for at least one of these methods,
preferably TTLSv0. The choice of an EAP method to use with some legacy
authentication mechanisms in 3gpp2 has been pending for a while, due to
the lack of IETF activity with respect to these protocols. Publishing a
new password-based method is not going to solve this problem, since
there is considerable resistance to implementing another method.

I'm glad to hear from Steve here that there is support for publishing
TTLSv0. I would like to see that happen regardless of whether it is done
as an EMU work item or not.

Vidya