From: Hao Zhou (hzhou) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 2:13 PM
To: Pascal Urien; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Emu] Re: Thoughts on Password-based EAP Methods

While I agree that we probably don't need another password based method,
I firmly believe that we need a standard base method provides more
extensibility beyond password based authentication, for instance,
channel binding, exchange protected data, crypto-agility, etc. Past
experience tells me that if we don't define a standard one to address
this, someone will come up with proprietary solution and we will end up
with multiple methods again. TTLS, PEAP, EAP-FAST are early attempts. We
will keep making the same mistakes.

That's why I think addressing password authentication should not be the
only goal, but addressing the standard extension points might be the
more important goal here. Addressing password authentication should be
trivial, as we already have working protocol. Just like TLS is being
used as a framework, I like to have a standard EAP tunnel method that is
extensible, extensible on the tunnel establishment as well as inside the
tunnel. Since the extension points are standardized and extensions need
to go thru IETF process and publishing, this will ensure better
interoperability.  That's why I think we need to take a look at both the
password based method and enhanced TLS based method requirements
together, and maybe with some requirements outside the current WG
charter, and come up with a standard tunneling method that's extensible.

As far as the basis for such method,  I don't think we have consensus
towards TTLS. We need to judge them base on the requirements and each
candidate's merits.