Hi Hannes,

  What you're saying is not that it "would work" but that it "could work".
If it's deployed correctly. And if there's some step that each and every
client MUST go through to accept a certificate. So _if_ _every_ client
goes through this step than it _can_ work. If, for some reason, this
strict regime is not followed then it doesn't work.

  The issue isn't whether it can be made secure provided some series
of steps are religiously followed. It's whether it will be secure even
if those steps are not religiously followed.

  Dan.

On Sat, February 23, 2008 1:19 am, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Hi Bernard,
>
> Bernard Aboba wrote:
>> "Zero knowledge" is definitely crypto-intensive.  For example, to get
>> both privacy and strong password protection, at least two DHs are
>> required.
>>
>> However, there are circumstances where server-side certificates aren't
>> acceptable.  Even in today, many/(most?) EAP deployments do not involve
>> certificates (e.g. LEAP, FAST).
> The good thing is that the approach would work with even a self-signed
> certificate since there is a big difference between the certificates
> used in the Web environment and for network access. In the former case
> you want to make sure that the browser with any webserver on the
> Internet. This is an any-to-any relationship. For network access you
> have a many-to-one relationship.
>
>>   Even if "zero knowledge" isn't used on an ongoing basis (out of
>> concern for load, for example), it still can be useful for initial
>> provisioning.
> Provisioning the initial security is an entirely different problem. EAP
> is the wrong way todo that.
> See for example the interesting work done in the KEYPROV working group.
>
>>   For example, EAP FAST provisioning is vulnerable to man-in-the-middle
>> attack or dictionary attack, which could be removed with use of "zero
>> knowledge" algorithms.
>>
> Need to look at this aspect of the draft again.
>
> Ciao
> Hannes
>
>> Subject: AW: [Emu] EMU Charter revision
>> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:34:56 +0100
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; emu@ietf.org
>>

>> Hi Bernard,
>>
>> a question your excitment regarding strong password based EAP
>> method.
>>
>> Why do you think they are useful? There are other ways (and they
>> are deployed already) that can accomplish the same result without going
>> along the SRP & co track.
>> Is it because you expect performance improvements or because the
>> crypto-mechanisms look nicer?
>>
>> I cannot quite understand the motivation.
>>
>> Ciao
>> Hannes

>>> for tunneled methods