I agree with Bernard on all points.

________________________________

        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bernard Aboba
        Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 2:54 AM
        To: emu@ietf.org
        Subject: Re: [Emu] EMU Charter revision

        I also do NOT approve of the current charter revision, for
several reasons:

        a.  The Charter text contains statements that are no longer
true.  For example:

        "Most of these methods are proprietary methods and only a few
methods
        are documented in RFCs."

        The following EAP methods are now documented in RFCs:

        EAP-TLS (RFC 2716)
        EAP-SIM (RFC 4186)
        EAP-AKA (RFC 4187)
        EAP-PAX (RFC 4746)
        EAP-SAKE (RFC 4763)
        EAP-PSK (RFC 4764)
        EAP-POTP (RFC 4793)
        EAP-FAST (RFC 4851)
        EAP-IKEv2 (RFC 5106)

        9 methods claiming to satify RFC 4017 critieria is more than a
"few".

        b. The Charter requires support for Channel Bindings without
doing the
        preparatory work to define how Channel Bindings works.  Either
the
        requirement should be removed, or a work item should be added to

        better define the approach to Channel Bindings.

        c. The text on tunnel methods does not provide enough guidance
to avoid
        potentially fruitless arguments.  So far, the EMU WG has not
been able
        to come to consensus on selection of one of the existing
tunneling
        protocols, and efforts to design "yet another" tunneling
protocol
        haven't gotten very far either.  I'd like to see more specific
        language that would make it clear that work on improving
existing
        tunneling protocols is within scope, and also that the EMU WG,
        if it cannot come to consensus on a single protocol, can proceed
        work on one or more protocols with significant support.

        d. Password-based methods.  While I can understand the desire to
limit the
        number of charter items, I do agree with Dan that work on
weak-password
        methods is important.  With some of the IPR obstacles likely to
fall by
        the wayside in coming years, it is time for the IETF to re-visit
its policy
        on inclusion of "zero knowledge" algorithms within standards
track documents.
        Dan Harkins said:

        " Hi Joe,

          I do NOT approve of the current charter revision, specifically
the
        change that says the password-based method can only be via the
        tunneled method. I do approve of the inclusion of tunneled
methods
        in the charter though and would be willing to contribute as a
        reviewer.

          regards,

          Dan."
        On Tue, February 19, 2008 11:14 am, Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)
wrote:
        > The response to the charter revision has been underwhelming.
I am a bit

(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-salowey-emu-eaptunnel-req-00.