Hi Alan,

I vote FOR independent lengths, because it will promote algorithm agility.

David

On Aug 5, 2008, at 3:09 AM, Alan DeKok wrote:

The current draft assumes that key lengths for MAC are the same as the MAC output length, and states this as a constraint. The counter- example is AES-CMAC-256, which has a 256 bit key for AES, and a 128 bit output.

 The question for the WG is whether or not this is relevant.  The feel
of the room at IETF was that the lengths should be independent. We are
looking for WG consensus on this issue.

 Please respond FOR or AGAINST making the input and output lengths
independent.  This consensus call will last until August 19.

 Alan DeKok.