pasi.ero...@nokia.com [mailto:pasi.ero...@nokia.com] writes:

> Glen Zorn wrote:
>
> > Ok, so now I'm totally confused.  None of the examples you cite are
> > IANA registries & I would have no problem w/Cisco handing out
> > numbers for their proprietary protocol, but that's not what they're
> > doing.  What they're doing is establishing an _IANA registry_ but
> > retaining a significant portion of that registry under proprietary
> > control, presumably expecting IANA to publish numbers at their
> > behest.  Are you saying that's OK?
>
> Ah -- my understand was that Cisco is not expecting IANA to publish
> anything at their behest; IANA will just mark 11-63 as "Allocated for
> Cisco", and if Cisco wants to use any of those numbers, they don't
> need to tell IANA.
>
> Or in other words, I thought IANA would operate the registry just like
> any other IANA registry with "Specification Required" policy, except
> the free values are 64-255.

Hmm.  OK, that's not an unreasonable interpretation but in that case I don't
understand why 1) the first 10, 3, whatever numbers are doing in the
registry at all, since their status as proprietary allocations are just the
same as the next set & 2) why the document doesn't just say that the range
is reserved.  "Managed by Cisco" implies to me that Cisco plans to allocate
the number themselves (presumably as a convenience & to avoid the pain
(embarrassment?) of publishing an RFC every five minutes), then advertise
them using IANA.  Since I've been wrong before, though ;-), I'd be
interested in hearing from the authors on this subject.