Glen Zorn wrote:
> Alan DeKok [mailto:al...@deployingradius.com] writes:
>> and an indication that the home AAA approves
>> of the connection.
>
> Hmm.  I could have sworn that this indication already existed, in the form
> of "Access-Accept" (for RADIUS).

  And EAP-Success.  Exactly.

>>   It's part of the channel binding.  It closes the loop between what the
>> NAS tells the AAA, and what the NAS tells the client.
>
> Only in the special case where (in your roaming example, below) roaming
> partners X and Y have direct relationships with the home network.  Suppose,
> for example, that the client connects to partner X, which correctly
> identifies itself.  The "channel binding" is duly reported by the client
> through EAP & by the NAS through AAA; however, the AAA traffic passes
> through an intermediate realm (say, Z).

  This happens a lot in roaming configurations.

>  So now the home AAA server has
> received conflicting messages: the EAP "channel binding" says the attachment
> is to X, as do the AAA attributes, but the AAA message came (as far as can
> be determined) from Z.

  It also contains a Called-Station-Id attribute with the SSID of X.  So
the home server can verify that SSID against the channel bindings.

>>   Right now in a commercial roaming scenario, the NAS could tell the
>> user "we're partner X: $0.05 / minute".  It could *really* be partner Y:
>> $5.00 / minute.  The user naively connects, and the bill is larger than
>> expected.  The partner gets paid, and the user gets blamed for not
>> paying attention.
>
> This is a legal/political problem, not a technical one.

  It motivates the technical solution.  Having a security protocol which
doesn't verify the identities of those involved is... surprising.

  Channel bindings closes a security issue in current deployments of the
EAP protocol.

  Alan DeKok.