Hi Sam,

On Wed, October 19, 2011 12:59 pm, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Hi. I've added PANA (pre-authentication).
>
> I wonder about the whole lower layer table.
> Why is it important to distinguish PANA with pre-auth from pana without
> pre-auth?
>
> Why is it important to distinguish 802.11 wpa, wpa2 and wpa2 with
> pre-auth?
>
> I'd appreciate it if someone who cared about network access told me what
> to do here:-)

  You can collapse wpa, wpa2 and wpa2 with preauth. wpa and wpa2 are both
actually trademarked terms of the Wi-Fi Alliance so they should probably
not be in an IANA registry anyway. Regardless, though, they all do the
same thing by conveying the same type of information in the same way.

  802.11s specifies a password-based authentication scheme that does not
use EAP so there doesn't seem to be a reason to define an "EAP lower
layer" for 802.11s.

  802.11r does things a little differently-- a key hierarchy is built up
and keys are distributed hither and yon-- so it might be good to channel
bind that stuff but 802.11r has been rolled into the 802.11 standard
(there is no stand-alone reference for 802.11r, by the way) and can be
dealt with as just 802.11. All the "information elements" that specify
that 11r-specific stuff is being communicated are defined by 802.11's
Assigned Number Authority and their communication is done in the same
fashion as plain-jane 802.11 (aka wpa and wpa2). If "information
elements" for 802.11r are included in the 802.11 channel binding data
then it means the session is going to be used for 802.11r-type stuff.

  Values 4-8 in the table in section 11.1 can all be combined into a
single value named "802.11" with a reference to IEEE 802.11-2007.

  regards,

  Dan.