Hi all,

we are working on the definition of an EAP mechanism that should help managing device credentials for access networks. We are finalizing some parts of the document and I would like to get the input from the WG (I know it is not a WG document, yet, but I hope it will get adopted). [*]

In particular, I have the following issues that I can solve in different ways and the reasons to adopt one or the other might depend on some practical aspects when implementing EAP methods. Here's the questions:

 * *EAP-CREDS Headers Format. *Usually EAP methods use the standard EAP
   header format (Code, Identifier, Length, and Type fields), however
   (thanks for the suggestions) EAP-CREDS now is required to be used as
   a tunneled method where the requirement is that the outer method
   provides the server/client auth and confidentiality. This means that
   messages are encoded as payloads of (for example) EAP-TLS and,
   technically, they do not need all those fields anymore. Moreover, we
   can have the EAP-CREDS to use 32-bits sizes of the messages,
   therefore we would not need the Length. My question for the group
   is: shall we keep the same header to provide ease of development
   (since libraries already know how to handle those headers) even if
   this might result in wasting few bytes for each message ?

 * *Fixed-Size TLVs.* In EAP-CREDS we define several TLVs, some of
   them, it turns out, do not need to be variable length, but they are,
   de facto, Fixed in size (e.g., it might be just one-byte value).
   Initially, we thought about omitting the 'TLV Length' field and have
   developers to "derive" the size of these TLVs by the 'TLV Type'
   field. For example, if a TLV 'A' is just a 1 byte value, shall we
   still have the 'TLV Length' (set to '1') or we shall omit the 'TLV
   Length' for these structures ?

 * *TLVs Length Size.* In EAP-CREDS we expect the majority of the
   messages to be relatively small (since we provide the possibility to
   encapsulate other protocols, that might not be true in that case;
   For the integrated provisioning protocol, SPP, that is true).
   However, with the increasing size of keys and crypto-related data
   structures, the use of a 16-bit length field might not be enough
   very soon. In order to address that, we currently use an extra
   32-bit field for the message length that is used instead of the
   standard 'Length' field and a 24-bit field for the TLV Length. Does
   this make sense for everybody ? Shall we use a different approach
   (e.g., provide a 32-bit field for the TLV Length instead) ?

Thanks for the feedback :D

Cheers,
Max

[*] = The version that is currently available in the Datatracker is quite outdated, however, as soon as we finalize some of these aspects we will publish the new version. The GIT repository is available (more updated, but not at the latest version) is available at GitHub (https://github.com/openca/eap-creds)

P.S.: I added the EAP-CREDS implementation for the Hackaton, please let me know if you want to participate. I have not organized any hackaton events before, so there might be glitches/issues/etc. because of my inexperience... if anybody would like to help, that would be great!

--
Best Regards,
Massimiliano Pala, Ph.D.