Hi to all,

as an operator of a EAP-TLS server for eduroam at the University Bremen
I just want to give some of my thoughts here, feel free to read or
ignore them ;)

The eduroam environment is heavily used for BYOD, so we don't have any
opportunity to change certificates via a Device Management.
Our clients are researchers, employees, students, ... so we can't (and
won't) control all devices logging in to our network.
We have to use either a private CA (which brings its own problems) or we
use a public trust anchor (e.g. T-Telesec with the DFN-Intermediate for
most German universities).
The deployment is done either manually by the users or with help of
tools like eduroam CAT (cat.eduroam.org).

I have done some research regarding the revocation of certificates in
EAP-TLS and have come to the conclusion that, if a private key gets
compromised, we have no possibility to effectively revoke the
certificate in a way the clients would notice.

This is the result of different problems:

* Clients don't support OCSP Stapling
The only client platform with default OCSP Stapling enabled in the
Client Hello (that I'm aware of) is currently Apple devices.

* Servers don't support OCSP Stapling
FreeRADIUS 3.0 does not support OCSP Stapling (but FreeRADIUS 4.0 will
have support for it)
This is probably the software mostly used for eduroam.

* Clients don't support the MustStaple Certificate extension
I don't have enough knowledge about TLSv1.3 yet, but for <=TLSv1.2 OCSP
won't add much security, since the OCSP Stapling is not mandatory.
I will look into TLSv1.3 and MustStaple in near future, maybe someone
can give me a hint if MustStaple is also active for TLSv1.3?

All in all, I definitely think that making OCSP Stapling optional will
have a benefit on small devices, but especially for the diverse
environment of eduroam, making OCSP Stapling mandatory will increase the
overall security of this federation.
Maybe it might be a good idea to make OCSP Stapling mandatory for
EAP-TLS Servers?

Greetings
Janfred