<lear=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>
    > wrote:

    >> +1.  How does anyone even do OCSP without having first gotten onto the
    >> network?

    > [Joe] THat is what OCSP stapling is supposed to solve since the OCSP
    > messages are sent in the TLS handshake.   I believe there are some EAP-TLS
    > implementations that support OCSP, but I am not sure if it is actually
    > deployed.

I think that it should say, if you do OCSP, then you must staple.
But, the intro suggests that revocation checking is mandatory with TLS 1.3.
(I didn't double check if that's MUST, SHOULD, or what)

Since CRLs won't be fresh and can't be retrieved until online, then it seems
that OCSP is needed if one is going to revocation checking.

What I read in section 5.4 is that servers have to support OCSP stapling
requests.  I see a tiny bit of wiggle room as to whether the peer actually
must USE it :-)
Maybe that wiggle room can be made official for Hannes.

The document currently says: (1.0)

   Privacy is mandatory and achieved without any additional round-trips,
   revocation checking is mandatory and simplified with OCSP stapling,

and:

5.4.  Certificate Revocation

   This section updates Section 5.4 of [RFC5216].

   While certificates may have long validity periods, there are a number
   of reasons (e.g. key compromise, CA compromise, privilege withdrawn,
   etc.) why client, server, or sub-CA certificates have to be revoked
   before their expiry date.  Revocation of the EAP server's certificate
   is complicated by the fact that the EAP peer may not have Internet
   connectivity until authentication completes.

   EAP-TLS peers and servers supporting TLS 1.3 MUST support Certificate
   Status Requests (OCSP stapling) as specified in [RFC6066] and
   Section 4.4.2.1 of [RFC8446].  When EAP-TLS is used with TLS 1.3, the
   peer and server MUST use Certificate Status Requests [RFC6066] for
   the server's certificate chain and the EAP peer MUST treat a
   CertificateEntry (except the trust anchor) without a valid
   CertificateStatus extension as invalid and abort the handshake with
   an appropriate alert.  When EAP-TLS is used with TLS 1.3, the server
   MUST check the revocation status of the certificates in the client's
   certificate chain.

   The OCSP status handling in TLS 1.3 is different from earlier
   versions of TLS, see Section 4.4.2.1 of [RFC8446].  In TLS 1.3 the
   OCSP information is carried in the CertificateEntry containing the
   associated certificate instead of a separate CertificateStatus
   message as in [RFC4366].  This enables sending OCSP information for
   all certificates in the certificate chain.

Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )