On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:53:55 +0100
jboogie <jbj...@lavabit.com> wrote:
| Hi, total newbie to encfs here. When creating an encrypted directory by
| first mounting it, I get a warning that "the external
| initialization-vector chaining option" is enabled and this will disable
| hard links, which I need in my encrypted directory.
|
| I couldn't find anything with a quick search (unfortunately couldn't
| figure out on sourceforge if the list's archives are searchable)... so,
| is it possible to have hard links and if yes how?
|
| best regards,
| renato

When a file is encrypted the encryption needs an initial number to
start encrypting from (more or less, its a simplification).

initialization-vector chaining option, means base that number on the
full path and filename of the file in the mounted encfs filesystem.

But if the full name and path is used, than any hard link to the file
which is essentially just a different path and filename to exactly the
same file on disk, you essentially have two paths and two different
initialization vectors for the file.  As such only one of them is
going to work!

Hardlinks do not work with "initialization-vector chaining".
However Symbolic Links do work fine, and so you can have the file
on a disk and symbolic links pointing to that one file.

However neither option works with a VFat or other non-UNIX style of
filesystem.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <a.thys...@griffith.edu.au>
  The members of the Guild of Assassins considered themselves cultured
  men who enjoyed good music and food and literature.  And they knew the
  value of human life.  To a penny, in many cases.
                                       -- Terry Pratchett, "HogFather"
   Anthony's Castle     http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/