On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:10:11 +1000
Anthony Thyssen <a.thys...@griffith.edu.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:53:55 +0100
> jboogie <jbj...@lavabit.com> wrote:
> | Hi, total newbie to encfs here. When creating an encrypted
> directory by | first mounting it, I get a warning that "the external
> | initialization-vector chaining option" is enabled and this will
> disable | hard links, which I need in my encrypted directory.
> |
> | I couldn't find anything with a quick search (unfortunately couldn't
> | figure out on sourceforge if the list's archives are searchable)...
> so, | is it possible to have hard links and if yes how?
> |
> | best regards,
> | renato
> |
> When a file is encrypted the encryption needs an initial number to
> start encrypting from (more or less, its a simplification).
>
> initialization-vector chaining option, means base that number on the
> full path and filename of the file in the mounted encfs filesystem.
>
> But if the full name and path is used, than any hard link to the file
> which is essentially just a different path and filename to exactly the
> same file on disk, you essentially have two paths and two different
> initialization vectors for the file.  As such only one of them is
> going to work!
>
> Hardlinks do not work with "initialization-vector chaining".
> However Symbolic Links do work fine, and so you can have the file
> on a disk and symbolic links pointing to that one file.
>
> However neither option works with a VFat or other non-UNIX style of
> filesystem.

Hi, thanks for reply. So, if I understand the man page correctly, if I
want hard links I'll have to go into expert mode and *not* enable the
following

filename initialization vector chaining
per-file initialization vectors
external IV chaining

but I can enable "add random bytes to each block"... am I right?

And the only thing I will loose security-wise is that it will be
possible to tell if two encrypted files (or parts of them) are
identical, right?

cheers,
renato