Can you look at the "001" line, at columns 2&4? So:

uniqueIV=0
chainedNameIV=0
externalIVChaining=1

In the plaintext folder view we have 4 identical files:
file-a
file-b
dir/file-a
dir/file-b
The all contain "hello\n".

In the ciphertext view, running md5sum on all 4 files I see:
3fee6e6aa7ad918709fac8ebb2ddaa3f  /tmp/.docs-1/dRh67KocD9v2gE-vcY5FjQHU
3fee6e6aa7ad918709fac8ebb2ddaa3f  /tmp/.docs-1/9khiedHAIWM,QyXyrau2qsLP
3fee6e6aa7ad918709fac8ebb2ddaa3f
/tmp/.docs-1/dJB18,Uy0wDV69ZbYwf6TGgf/dRh67KocD9v2gE-vcY5FjQHU
3fee6e6aa7ad918709fac8ebb2ddaa3f
/tmp/.docs-1/dJB18,Uy0wDV69ZbYwf6TGgf/9khiedHAIWM,QyXyrau2qsLP

So:
- The plain paths of the 2 files in the root dir are different:
  "file-a" and "file-b"
- The encoded paths of the 2 files in the root dir are different:
  "dRh67KocD9v2gE-vcY5FjQHU" and "9khiedHAIWM,QyXyrau2qsLP"
- Yet, the file data encoding of "file-a" and "file-b" is the same(!)

How does this fit in with the description of externalIVChaining? With
"001", I would expect to see 2 different md5sums. What am I missing?

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:59:23 +0100
Jakob Unterwurzacher <jakob...@gmail.com>